Happy Thursday Everyone! I have been caught up lately with a hectic schedule which means few (to no) posts! But I am back with a seriously delicious recipe that is perfect for this warm weather and would be perfect for Father’s Day on Sunday. My family recently went to a local favourite restaurant, Plank Restobar, that specializes in smaller bites that pack huge flavour. One of our top choices is the sliders. They are so juicy and delicious! They are topped with caramelized onions, a savoury aioli and melty cheese. All loaded on a soft egg bun (I am drooling thinking about it!). So when it came to deciding what recipe to tackle next in the kitchen it was a no-brainer.
I did this recipe off the cuff so it doesn’t need to be exact measurements (feel free to experiment with the flavours you like in the kitchen!). My boyfriend and I wanted a Summer inspired dinner so we paired it with a delicious wedge salad (probably the easiest salad to make too). We were all set to serve up dinner when we realized we didn’t buy a blue cheese dressing (oops!). So I got to Google and typed in quick and easy blue cheese dressing recipe (I had no time for blenders or food processors I mean we were almost about to eat!). So I came across this recipe. It took only a few minutes to make and was so simple. This dressing called for whole milk but we used 1% and it just makes for a thinner dressing. This blue cheese dressing was so insanely delicious and is now a staple in my recipe book. (Seriously. Try this dressing immediately!).
If you are looking to up your weeknight burger game or spoil Dad this Sunday definitely try out this recipe. It has so many layers of flavour and will surely be a new favourite.
- 2 sweet onions, halved and sliced, reserve 1/4 of an onion for sliders
- 5 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 package of pork, beef and veal blend
- 1/4 reserved sweet onion, grated
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- Salt and Pepper, to season
- 1 cup of mayonnaise
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- Fontina cheese, sliced (use any cheese you may prefer)
- Slider buns (toasting is optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Slice your onions and have ready to start caramelized onions. These will be cooking the entire time you prepare these sliders. Over medium-high heat melt butter in a large skillet. Add onions. Let brown and soften. About 3-5 minutes. Lower heat to medium-low and let continue to soften. Stir every couple minutes so they don't burn.
- In a large bowl combine all the slider patty ingredients. Form small hamburger patties, about an inch thick and 2-3 inches in diameter. This should make about 9-10 patties. Refrigerate until ready to cook.
- Combine all aioli ingredients in a small bowl and mix well. Refrigerate until ready to assemble sliders.
- At this point add the balsamic vinegar to your onions to deglaze the pan. Continue to cook on low heat. The vinegar will thicken and coat the onions.
- In a large skillet, heat butter over high heat. Cook slider patties, half of the batch at a time. Brown the first side. About 4- 5 minutes. Flip and cover the pan. Cook for another 5 minutes. Once both sides are browned, transfer to a baking pan and top with cheese. Finish in the oven for another 4-5 minutes, when cheese is melted. Repeat with the second half of the sliders.
- If you choose to toast your slider buns, arrange them on a baking sheet and toast them in the oven while the sliders are in finishing.
- To assemble the sliders, spoon aioli on one side of the buns, add a generous amount of caramelized onions to the other side of the buns. Place slider patty on the onions and top with the aioli coated bun. Serve 2-3 sliders per person! Enjoy!